This time of year is always an opportunity to reflect, take stock, and start afresh. However, while most of us make resolutions, the vast majority of us will not see them through to the end of January.
There are lots of useful resources available on the internet, like this week’s article from Psychology Today: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/resolution.aspx , but the common thread to predict success or failure is always planning.
“If you Fail to Plan, you Plan to Fail”
Incorporating the tips given by health experts and psychologists is fantastic, as long as you plan!
If your resolution is fat loss, we have made it easy with Jade’s Strip Off For Winter Challenge: https://into-you.com.au/product/jades-strip-winter-challenge/ , where the planning is done for you.
If you have a fitness resolution, again we have taken care of it with our 2015 Hiking, Running, and Tough Mudder groups.
If you plan to do it on your own, this is how you can set your self up for success:
- Tell people – your family, friends, trainer. They will ask you about it and help keep you accountable.
- Hire a professional – nutritionalist, naturopath, personal trainer. They will keep you accountable, as well as ensure that your program is as effective and specific as possible. This will mean you get results faster, and make less mistakes.
- Write it down – the goal, and what you intend on doing to achieve it. Place it somewhere where you’ll see it daily (the fridge is a common one).
- Put it in your diary – the steps you intend on taking are important, otherwise the resolution simply remains a lofty goal floating in your consciousness. The training sessions, shopping lists, and cooking need to be completed, and this takes time. Make time in your diary, and refuse to give it up for anything (you can reschedule it, but not cancel).
- Team up with a buddy – someone who has a similar resolution. This will help prevent you from skipping sessions, or buying chocolate. Train together, shop together, cook for the week together (or for each other).
Our tips are all about planning. Stick to the plan and success is assured! Good luck with your resolutions for 2015