Back to school is looming and so is our responsibility to provide daily, healthy, palatable lunches for our schoolkids! I posted 10 ideas last year here, and here are 10 more!!
Basically, when packing a lunchbox, i am trying to mentally tick these boxes:
- Fruit (fresh where possible)
- Vegetable (fresh where possible)
They are not always evenly distributed, and i am not always successful, but that it the goal! Also, i am aware that every one of these ideas has tomato, and not every kids will eat them. I like cherry tomatoes because they keep well and are so bloody healthy! I will be packing them until Evie stops eating them! I tend not to pack meat, except the occasional sausage, because we often have meat at dinner and i think that a plant-based diet is healthier.
Bliss balls recipe:
- 1 C dates
- 1 C seeds, coconut, & oats (or a third a cup of each, mix it to taste)
- 1 T spices (chose your favourite!)Method:
- Blend them up, roll in sesame seeds or desiccated coconut, refrigerate!
- 1 C any kind of SR flour
- 1 egg
- 1 C grated or mashed fruit (for savoury, pumpkin and canned tuna or chicken work well)
- Milk (any kind) until the consistency is smooth (we use a bar mix, and add and blend until it’s thick but runny)
- Spices (very important when you’re not using sugar! cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and fruit zest work well with sweet pikelets. Cumin, tumeric, and rosemary work well with savoury)Method:
- Blend it up
- Use coconut oil in your fry pan, one large spoonful makes a good size pikelet
- Flip when you see the bubbles
- Cool completely before adding to lunchbox
- Freeze any leftovers.
Tuna Patty recipe:
- 1 Sweet potato, steamed
- 1 potato, steamed
- 95g can of tuna, salmon, or chicken
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 T rosemary (optional)Crumbs:
- 1/3 C sunflower seeds
- 1/3 C linseeds
- 1/3 C oats or pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper to tasteMethod:
- Blend up the crumbs and put in a container
- Mash everything else
- Roll into balls and flatten on frypan (use coconut oil to cook)
- Flip when brown
- Make sure they’re completely cooled before adding to lunchbox.
Be sure to follow @intoyousfs on Instagram or Facebook for almost-daily ideas during school term!